Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fun with Sketches Lori


Having fun with Sketches
By Lori McClellan
Featuring:  Products from The Hens' Den, a sketch and your imagination.


 Raise your hand if you love a sketch.  (Me waving hand frantically!!)
I love that a sketch can easily give me a starting idea.  I also love, that I can change a sketch up.  That's the fun, there are no rules.
So here is the beginning sketch.



It's pretty basic, which is great.  It means we can use our imagination.
Sketch tip #1: Improvise, and don't be afraid to use something unusual when interpreting a sketch, like I used the flower in place of one of the squares.

So for this card, I used Teresa Collins Fabrications paper and embellishment, and Petallo flowers.
I cut the houndstooth paper as the back ground, and backed it on a black card base.  
I wrapped the green twill ribbon around the base.  
I cut squares from various pattens of the TC paper and backed them in black card stock.  As you can see on the sketch, I layed out the squares almost identical to the sketch.  
In place of one of the squares I added a Petaloo flower. 
I also added some of the TC embellishments in place of a sentiment.  



Sketch tip #2:  Just because the sketch has a certain shape, like a square, don't become tied to that shape.  Feel free to try other shapes.  In this example I used a hexagon shape.

Sketch tip #3:  Try flipping, turning and moving around the sketch.  There is no rule that says you have lay your card/layout exactly the same way as the sketch.  Play around with direction.

For this card I began by cutting a cream cardstock base.  
I cut a slightly smaller rectangle of My Minds Eye Christmas paper (which was so wildly popular is currently out of stack at the Hen's Den.) and adhered it to the card base.  
I cut a much smaller piece of the same cardstock and adhered it with the coordinating side (polka dots) up.
I tied a ribbon around both of these pieces.
I printed the hexagon images on the same cream cardstock and cut out around them.
I adhered them on the left side of the card.
The large hexagon, I added pop dots to give some dimension.
I cut out and adhered the Warm Wishes tag.

(If you want a .pdf of the hexagon cut file, leave a message here with your email address or in box it to The Hens' Den, and I will send you a copy of the file.)

Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and try new things.  If you give this sketch a try, PLEASE post a picture on The Hens' Den gallery.  You could win a $10.00 credit to the store.  Thanks for stopping by!
InLinkz

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...